Marta V. Vicente, Debating Sex and Gender in Eighteenth-Century Spain (Harvard, 2017).
James Fenton reviews “Cristóbal de Villalpando: Mexican Painter of the Baroque,” an exhibition at the Palacio de Cultura Citibanamex–Palacio de Iturbide, Mexico City, March 9–June 4, 2017; and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, July 25–October 15, 2017.
New York Review of Books, Oct 12, 2017
Giles Tremlett, Isabella of Castile: Europe’s First Great Queen (Bloomsbury, 2017).
Henry Kamen reviews Tremlett, Isabella of Castile, in the Times Literary Supplement 5964, July 18, 2017.
Alexander Larman reviews Tremlett, Isabella of Castile, in the Guardian, March 19, 2017.
Charles H. Parker and Gretchen Starr-LeBeau, eds, Judging Faith, Punishing Sin: Inquisitions and Consistories in the Early Modern World (Cambridge, 2017).
Introduction Charles H. Parker and Gretchen Starr-LeBeau
Part I. Institutional Contexts and Operations
Section 1. Local Contexts and Regional Variations:
1. Consistories Raymond A. Mentzer
2. Inquisitions Christopher F. Black
Section 2. Tribunals and Jurisdictions:
3. Consistories Margo Todd
4. Inquisitions Gretchen Starr-LeBeau and Kimberly Lynn
5. Consistories and civil authorities Sara Beam
6. Episcopal courts in Iberia, Italy, and Latin America Edward Behrend-Martínez
7. Church courts in England Martin Ingram
Section 3. Judges and Shepherds:
8. Consistories William Naphy
9. Inquisitions Kimberly Lynn
Section 4. Inquisition and Consistory Records:
10. Consistories Christian Grosse, translated by Charles Parker
11. Inquisitions Kim Siebenhüner, translated by Heidi Bek
Part II. Consistories and Inquisitions in Action
Section 5. Programs of Moral and Religious Reform:
12. Consistories Philippe Chareyre, translated by Charles H. Parker
13. Inquisitions Doris Moreno Martínez, translated by Gretchen Starr-LeBeau
Section 6. Victims as Actors:
14. Consistories Timothy Fehler
15. Inquisitions Lu Ann Homza
Section 7. Negotiating Penance:
16. Consistories Karen E. Spierling
17. Inquisitions John F. Chuchiak, IV
Section 8. Gender on Trial: Attitudes toward Femininity and Masculinity:
18. Consistories Jeffrey Watt
19. Inquisitions Allyson M. Poska
Part III. Ecclesiastical Discipline’s Expanding Reach and Decline: Section 9. Disciplinary Institutions in the Atlantic World:
20. Consistories Mark Meuwese
21. Inquisitions Allyson Poska
Section 10. Disciplinary Institutions in an Asian Environment:
22. Consistories Hendrik E. Niemeijer
23. Inquisitions Bruno Feitler
Section 11. The Endgame: The Decline of Institutional Correction:
24. Consistories Jo Spaans
25. Inquisitions James E. Wadsworth
Conclusion. Reformations of penance and scholarly renascences William Monter